Monday, February 11, 2008

Getting ready

I've had my suitcases open in the living room for a week now and they are mostly filled. The contents change daily. A few things I will not part with: pictures of family and friends, camera, write in the rain notebook, journal, and In the Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall. The other things are self explanatory but Goodall's book has particular sentimental value. It was my mother's when she was young and I have made a habit of reading it at the beginning of every field position I've ever taken. Not only is it a tremendous story, but somehow it gives me courage when starting something brand new. Goodall accepts her position with no previous professional training and dives into observing one of man's closest relatives; the chimpanzee. Her passion/obsession drives her. It reminds me to listen to what my mom has always encouraged me to do: pursue my passions and dreams.

With one week to go I feel as though everything is a blur. I am so excited about leaving! I can't wait! So much to do and so little time. I've had to start goodbyeing already. I saw my mom in Ohio this weekend and it was a very nice visit. A bit sad but good. I've been trying to prepare myself as much as I can with the whole goodbye thing but I hate it. It probably isn't even possible to prepare for that. Here in Granite, in addition to helping me prepare equipment and packing stuff, Dad and Terri Kaye have been there for me when I couldn't help thinking about how much I was going to miss everyone. Mostly now I've been focused on how awesome of a trip this is going to be.

1 comment:

Jason Samuelian said...

Hey Just checked out your website! Looks great! I am a PCV in Lesotho and I have set up a WIKI for the volunteers in the Southern Africa Region. You should check it out at
www.wikisarvn.pbwiki.com
If you want you can pass this site on to friends and family members. It will hopefully become a home for all of us volunteers! Let all your fellow PCV's know about it too. All the best
Jason Samuelian